Thread Slivers(Golden Threads Trilogy)

Chapter 5

Knives are out

ENJOYING THE SWEET AND SALTY flavor of the sweetmeat, Ticca strolled through the marketplace. Comparing the morning’s purchases against her list of needed items, she smiled. Her new pouch had two separate compartments with identical sets of items. The exception was one had practically nothing of value, while the other held the real items. She was particularly pleased with the set of journals she’d found. It would take a little work to transfer her notes but it would be worth it. The sun was warm, and all her main objectives for the day were dealt with. She considered the future. I should go back to the Blue Dolphin and put my dagger out. But I think I can afford to take a short break. After all, I have been working for years to get here. I think I deserve a break. Ignoring most of the barkers vying for her attention, she thought maybe she should get a few extra supplies now that she had a safe place to store them. Always a good idea to be prepared for having to leave on short notice.

Her eyes were slightly dazzled by a flash of bright light and her ears started ringing from a sound not unlike a near thunderclap. Something hit her hard from behind, and her skin prickled at the contact even through her leathers. That feels like the magic Sula made me use. She was pushed forward with considerable force and her feet automatically shuffled, keeping her balanced. Her heart started racing as the memory of the previous evening’s sneak attack made a pit in her stomach. She dropped her pack as she executed an about face into a battle-ready crouch, with knives in a defensive position.

Dagger in one hand and a knife in the other, she took in what had hit her. Instead of the expected opponent she was looking at the back of skinny, medium-height man. He was himself just finishing turning around, looking away from her. His cloak was smoking slightly from whatever had happened to his back. Must have been blown into me, but by who or what?

Lowering herself slightly and stepping an inch to the right, remaining ready for a fight, she was able to see past the man who had run into her. Fifteen feet away and closing was a Knife, or at least someone who really wanted to make that impression. Except this Knife was using an ebony rod, which he pointed threateningly at the other man. Looking at the singed cloak in front of her again, she thought, This guy must be a wizard, to have withstood a surprise magical attack. That feeling when he touched me must have been his shielding. My Lady! This is an assassination attempt against a wizard in the middle of the market. Who would dare try this?

Nearby people began to react to the events, most bolting away screaming. The few remaining that were watching the events like a busker act changed their minds and ran too when lightning leaped from the rod, striking the wizard. The wizard was pushed further back and Ticca deftly stepped backwards with the motion to keep a workable distance between them. The hair on the back of her neck stood up and her heart started racing from being in the line of fire. This is not a good place to be. Looking around, she saw there was no cover other than tents. Those tents aren’t going to stop a missed shot. Maybe staying behind this wizard isn’t such a bad spot; he’s holding up to the abuse pretty well. The Knife was also impressed, and actually looked mad. More than you bargained for, I bet. Now for the execution everyone always says happens when wizards are crossed.

The wizard slowly, almost arrogantly, lifted his hands. The Knife’s eyes showed a touch of fear. The Knife tried to move, shouting, “Damn it!” In a last desperate effort he threw his knife at the wizard. But he wasn’t fast enough. Nice try, but I doubt anyone can move fast enough. Throwing stuff at wizards just makes them madder.

As expected, an over-the-top reaction came, in the form of a blaze of orange and red lights from the wizard’s hands. The wizard’s right hand had targeted the center of the Knife’s chest, and his left the rod. In an amazing burst of blue fire the rod exploded as the Knife was engulfed, screaming, in red flames. The exploding rod blew the right hand and forearm away, leaving a stump of an arm. Small bits of meat and blood rained on the stall fronts. Ticca’s stomach threatened to eject the recent meal and she had to swallow hard to stifle the sick feeling the slapping meat sounds gave her. She wanted to stop watching but the scene was too amazing. She held her mouth tightly closed, resisting the gagging sensations as the Knife fell to his knees screaming before melting into a charred pile roughly resembling a man.

My Lady, I hope I never have to fight a wizard! This is unbelievable, and it happened before my very eyes. She was totally unprepared, staring at the charred pile, when the wizard fell backwards, the thrown knife protruding from his chest with blood running out of the wound over his clothing to the ground. The wizard’s arms and chest were also badly blackened and smoking. Is he dead too?

“Lebuin! Lord, no! Lebuin!” An older man ran to the wizard, kneeling and picking up the wizard’s head. Shouting, “Guards! Anyone, help! Please Lord, we cannot let him die!” the man looked around pleadingly at the empty area, his eyes falling on her. Eyes filled with tears, he looked at the dagger in her hand then at her. She hadn’t moved, and was still in a fighting posture. “Dagger? Are you a Dagger?!”

Straightening up, she sheathed her knives automatically. Stepping up to the fallen wizard, she answered, “Yes.”

“Are you under coin? Name your price, he can pay, please help!”

Looking around, she saw there was no one else even remotely close. People milled at the edge of the scene, many others were beginning to gather to find the source of the commotion. Temple Street is not far. She looked at the wizard again. Lady, is he thin; I bet my saddle gear weighs more than him. Looking at the older man again, she realized he was about to grab the knife sticking out of the wizards chest. Ticca snapped her hand around his wrist, pulling it away from the knife. “Don’t be a fool. If you pull that now there is no chance he’ll live. I accept the terms.” Pointing at her pack, she added, “You bring that and don’t fall too far behind.”

Squatting down, she carefully lifted the wizard into her arms. She stood and measured his weight; he was almost as light as he looked. I can do this. For his life I have to do this. Lady, lend me some strength. She ran full speed for Temple Street, screaming oaths at anyone in her way, effectively clearing a path and giving her precious oxygen.

Exiting the market directly onto Temple Street, she continued screaming, drawing as much attention as she could. Most people turned and watched, and anyone in her way quickly stepped aside. The wizard felt like he was getting heavier. OK, he weighs more than my gear, but not by much. Sweat was running freely down her face and back and her breathing became harder. Her muscles complained making her very glad the Temple of Dalpha was the second temple on the street and that the hospice entrance was on the market side. Taking the wide steps two at a time she screamed for help as she barreled into the main room. Two acolytes jumped at the sound and pointed at an empty cot and rushed to meet her there.

Laying the wizard on the cot, she stepped aside and leaned against the wall, breathing hard. One of the acolytes ran out, while the other began examining the wizard, careful of the protruding knife. Ticca watched and decided it might be good to let them know what he was. Trying to keep her breath under control, she managed to get out, “He’s a wizard; he was attacked, in the market.”

The acolyte nodded and looked at the doorway the other acolyte had gone through. A tall man in rich robes hurriedly entered with the other acolyte. The acolyte went back to caring for others while the tall man came directly to the wizard’s bed. Ticca listened as the two men spoke in the unfathomable medical jargon these types favored. Good Lady, how many possible treatments can there be, the man is bleeding to death. Looking at him, she noted that the blood didn’t smear or soak into his clothes but instead pooled or ran off it, staining the bed. The older man who’d hired her finally came running into the room with her pack. She waved and he came over, trying to breathe himself.

After what felt like a full mark but was only a minute at most of talking and prodding, the old man shook his head sadly and looked at her. “I am sorry, lady, there is little we can do. This is too grave a wound. I doubt if he’ll even wake up.”

The old man next to her snapped straight. “Surely you can heal him. This isn’t a simple hospice. Please, you must save him,” he pleaded.

The healer laid a hand on the old man’s shoulder. “I am sorry; this wound is beyond our abilities. I will do all I can, but I doubt it will be enough.”

The old man snapped. He pushed the healer’s hand from his shoulder and bolted through the inner doorway, yelling, “Lady, save us! Lady, save us...”

The healer motioned for the acolyte, who was looking at him for guidance, to follow. The acolyte ran after the old man, calling out for him to stop. Turning back to Ticca, he shook his head. “Are you alright M’lady?”

She nodded, “I’m just the hired help to get him here to save him. What if he woke up? I have heard wizards can mend themselves?”

“Alas, very few can do so, and also I seriously doubt he’ll ever wake again.”

If he doesn’t wake then I probably won’t get paid. Not that it was really that big of a deal. She mulled over staying or not as the tall healer turned his attention back to the wizard.

Ticca watched curiously as he retrieved a basket filled with bandages and surgical tools. He then carefully cut open the wizards clothing around the knife before laying out a number of bottles on a small table brought by an acolyte. Taking a long, thin, hollow reed that had a bulb on one end, he squeezed the bulb, inserting the end of the reed into one of the smaller bottles. He then carefully inserted the tip into the wound next to the knife and squeezed. The wound began to bubble pink-white liquid mixed with blood. The healer then took a longer, flexible reed and pushed it carefully down the wizard’s throat; quickly, the healer used another bulb to push fluid through the reed. The wizard coughed a little as the healer carefully pulled the reed back out.

Waiting for the coughing to stop, he checked the wizard and frowned deeper. The wound had stopped bubbling out the pink foam. Looking concerned, he took yet another small vial and moved to a position where he could pull the knife out and pour the contents of the vial on the wound at the same time. Just as he grabbed the knife a cry came from the doorway, “Healer Antis, STOP!”

Looking annoyed for a moment he turned, and seeing who had addressed him, he went a little white. The healer straightened and bowed his head, “Your will, Great Lady. I am doing all I can to save this man.”

Curious, Ticca leaned around him to see the newcomer better. It was a noble lady, followed by several other acolytes. She was Ticca’s height, with a round, pale face and long, thick, slightly curly black hair. She was in a long, forest-green robe, decorated with flowers and fruit hanging from the borders. She also wore a dark green mantle, drawn from behind, over her shoulders and up from behind her waist knotted in an X on her chest. Her arms were bare and muscular. On her forehead was a slim silver tiara with a fine oak tree for the center piece. Balanced in her hand sat an oversized, delicate-looking egg of gold, silver and gems. The egg was not solid; in fact she could easily see through it as it was a complex of gold and silver threads. As she strode up to the bed Ticca noticed that the device was actually an intricate sculpture with small leaves and vines. What was wondrous was that the device held a glowing yellow sphere of light that felt oddly warm and comforting, like lying out in the sun on a warm day.

The healer openly stared at the device. “Great Lady, you would gift this mage with Dalpha’s Light?”

The Lady smiled. “This man is a direct servant of Lord Argos.” Looking back at the doorway, she added, “I was told of his need, asked to assist, and personally deem this a righteous act of charity.”

Ticca glanced at the doorway and straightened up at the hint of a green skirt, cream-colored blouse and auburn hair slipping quickly back through it. Was that Sula?

Stepping out from behind the Great Lady, the older man who had cried for help looked worriedly at the wizard. Taking note of the gesture, the Great Lady turned her attention to the wizard as well. “Yes, well, you have done an admirable job so far. Let us finish this together; I need assistance.” The five acolytes with her moved to positions around the bed. She moved to stand next to the wizard on his right, leaving the healer where he was. Everyone but the healer knelt; Ticca, deciding it was best to not look out of place, also knelt.

The older man stepped up. “May I assist?”

The Great Lady smiled. “Any servant of Lord Argos is welcome. Kneel at his head, hold it steady and offer up any prayer you may have.” The old man took his position as instructed.

Then the Lady held the glowing egg over the center of the wizard’s chest and began to vocalize, a pure beautiful melody of sounds. All the acolytes present knelt and joined in. The glowing light grew brighter and brighter until Ticca had to look down. The warmth of the light was wonderful to feel, and Ticca felt uplifted and joyful at the sounds of the chant, the warmth of the light, and even the light’s intensity.

When the light became too much to bear she closed her eyes and felt a presence growing closer.

- - -

The sun was full in her face, its warmth comfortably baking her. Sighing, she knew she should finish the work, but it was so nice. From a short distance away the children were playing with a fox, their laughs like delicate silver bells ringing joyfully through the glen. Sitting up, she opened her eyes. Before her, the boots had not miraculously finished themselves. The low table was organized with her leather tools and materials. I really should finish those boots for him. Then of course I’ll have to get him to wear them. Laughing at the absurd look she knew she’d get for suggesting he discard his favorite boots, she picked up the almost completed journal.

Marks flowed by as she wove the materials together into another fine journal. She enjoyed the comfortable feeling the energies of her people and the world gave her as she worked. The energies bound the woven paper, leather and resin glues into a single whole object. She smiled as she carved the intricate looping knot patterns into the covers. Finally, she held the completed journal up and inspected it in the late afternoon sun. A beautiful work; it will make an excellent gift for our guest.

Taking the journal with her, she left the unfinished boots for another day and moved through the forest village to the gathering place. Laughter, music, and talk could be heard long before getting to the feast. The tables were set out in the open with large fires at each end. The smell of roasting vegetables and meats made her mouth water. Naturally the Shar family had brought significant amounts of sharre to the feast, and it was being enjoyed by all. At the high table sat most of the family elders.

She took a place at the makers’ table and enjoyed the evening’s entertainments. Dancers, acrobats, and bards flowed throughout the evening as easily as the sharre and platters of food. As the feast went on she kept looking for her love but she could not find him, nor was he with the servers. He must be here someplace, how could he miss this? Then she noticed one of the masked acrobats dressed in flowing saffron silks and her heart told her it had to be him. She clapped and yelled support as his troupe performed amazing feats with ropes, knives and balancing. At the climax she laughed as he showed off performing the difficult knife dance of the firebirds with his silk costume streaming in intricate patterns. She even gasped with everyone else when he ended it with a mighty show of knives and torches spinning so fast that the mirrored edges flashed like the stars in a wind storm of fire and silk. He ended it by throwing all six knives high in the air and letting them come down blade first around him as he bowed. The knives passed his head and arms close enough to flutter the silk sleeves and his long hair. He remained looking down until the last knife had passed, embedding itself at the end of the neat row of hilts at his feet. She blushed when he winked at her as he exited.

As the evening wore on it came time to present her gift. She stood and made her way to the high table. Giving appropriate nods to the heads of the families, she stepped up in front of the great mage. He looked to be about middle-aged, for a human, though she knew that he had been coming to their forest for more years than most humans could hope to live. He looked at her and laughed his deep, full-bodied laugh. “My word! Can this be Kliasa, who bounced on my knee and wouldn’t let me stop?”

She blushed and bowed appropriately. “Great Lord Magus Vestul of Argos, you do me honor to remember me. I have made this for your honor and for my family’s thanks to you for helping end the war and save our forests.” Placing the journal on the table, she bowed again.

The great mage actually looked slightly embarrassed by the act and his eyes showed a hint of tears. Magus Vestul reached out and picked up the journal and inspected it as she awaited his word. He carefully inspected the binding, cover, materials and then he noted the engraving of Lord Argos’s seal on the front. His hands almost lovingly traced the patterns. “This is a wondrous work! I am most pleased with this gift. In fact I declare this to be my most prized gift of the feast. I shall use this only for the most important of research and notes, and will treasure it for all my life. Thank you Kliasa, daughter of House Elaeus.” He stood and put the journal in his pouch of fine leather with the silver disk clasp. “It fits perfectly.” Smiling, he reached out. “May I have the honor of the Moon’s Dance with you?”

Glancing right, the matriarch looked like she was so proud she would burst. The matriarch nodded affirmative and she bowed again and accepted. The Magus was amazingly graceful as he danced the Moon’s Dance with her. At the end he gave her a fatherly embrace and whispered in her ear, “I think someone is awaiting the next dance.” Winking, he motioned with his head to his left. Looking the way he motioned she saw her love smiling and clapping to the music but his violet eyes were following her every move.

She walked with the great Magus, who limped slightly, back to the head table. She looked at him for a moment and he waved his hand. “Don’t worry, it is just that my feet are killing me! These shoes are just too tight.” Kliasa smiled to herself. I’ll fix that on your next visit. Bowing a farewell, she said, “Thank you for honoring us, Great Lord Magus Vestul of Argos.” He smiled and she turned back to the dance circle, looking for her love. He was there waiting, he had changed back into simple green leggings and the horrible boots. I really need to finish those boots for him. Maybe I can steal those ugly worn things when he is asleep. I bet his grandmother would help me. She approached him and he bowed deeply. “You do me honor to allow me to follow our Great Lord Magus.”

Smiling, she took his hand and he pulled her suddenly very close. His warm breath sent shivers down her spine as he said softly in her ear, “Your gift really was magnificent, it must be your finest work ever.”

She closed her eyes and let the exhilaration of pride lift her to the heights as her heart pounded thunderously in her ears and his breath warmed her soul.

- - -

A soft musical voice came to her. “You may stand.” Ticca opened her eyes, her heart still racing. She looked around, confused for a second. This is Dalpha’s Temple. Something just happened. I was dreaming again. A couple of acolytes were cleaning blood from the floor, two others were helping the healer who looked like he was drunk or about to pass out towards the inner door, the old man was still kneeling at the wizard’s head obviously praying, and standing next to her was the Great Lady of Dalpha herself with four other acolytes in attendance. She held the golden forest egg, which still glowed with an oddly warming soft, white light.

Ticca stood up a little shakily. What happened? Did I pass out? Looking at the wizard she saw there was a scar in his chest where the knife and once been, and his chest was rising and falling normally. He looked like someone who was just taking an afternoon nap, if it wasn’t for all the blood that surrounded him on the bed and floor. “I’m sorry Great Lady, I didn’t mean to be inattentive.”

Smiling, the tall woman looked her over fully, stopping for a moment at the dagger hanging on the front of her belt. “You are a Dagger. Are you employed by Journeyman Lebuin?”

“Actually by his servant I think. I am not exactly sure at the moment. Things moved a little fast.”

Nodding knowingly the Great Lady placed a hand on Ticca’s shoulder. “You are touched by Lady Dalpha and Lord Argos. I believe greatness awaits you…?”

“Ticca of Rhini Wood.”

“I know Rhini Wood. Are you related to Faltla?”

Ticca’s eyes snapped to look at the Great Lady. “Yes, he is my Uncle. You know of him?”

Smiling widely, the Great Lady nodded. “I knew I had seen your dagger before. It’s his dagger, isn’t it?”

Ticca nodded and touched it lovingly.

“Actually I know Faltla personally. He was a great Dagger himself until he lost his arm and toes in the war. I was a healer then and treated him and many of his companions. In fact I was the field healer that sewed him back together and brought him here when he was injured in that last battle. Did he train you?”

Ticca was in shock. “Um, yes, Great Lady. He trained me from a babe in the ways of tracking. When I was ten years old my father died, and I stopped pretending I wanted any other life than that of a Dagger. Uncle taught me everything he could. When it was obvious I had talent and was going to do this he called on an old friend to train me as he could not.”

“Who did he call on?”

Looking around Ticca noted who was listening. “I cannot say, Great Lady. I called him only Trainer.”

The Great Lady looked at her thoughtfully for a second then drew a line from her left ear down to the base of her neck and said softly, “With wiry silver hair?”

Ticca tried to hide her surprise but the Great Lady nodded knowingly. “Indeed, you will do well here.” Looking at the wizard she nodded again, “Yes, I believe this is right. Ticca, when you come to the end — and you will know when that is — should you still live, please come back and see me. I wish to know the results, and I do dearly wish to hear of your Uncle.”

Ticca nodded agreement. That sounds ominous. But this is already a surprising couple of days. What more can happen?

“When Journeyman Lebuin wakes he will be weak. Also he will be unable to use magic for a time. Please tell him to not push it too fast. Mages are a stubborn lot and often injure themselves again by too soon trying to control their magics. We have done all we can. He will live, be healthy, and in time be able to do all he was able to this morning and likely more.”

The Great Lady put her hand on Ticca’s shoulder again. “Ticca of Rhini Wood, although you already have been touched by Lady Dalpha, I give you my own blessing. Be well and come back when you can.” With that she walked away through the inner door to the Temple.

Looking at Journeyman Lebuin, she saw the old man had stopped praying and was looking at her.

“You said something about payment?”

Laughing a little, he said, “You did get him here pretty fast. Yes, but I have little of my own. You may have it all if you desire.”

Shaking her head, she pointed at the sleeping mage. “He can pay when he wakes up. If he cannot use magic for a time I think he would like my services, especially if there are more Knives out to cut him up. I doubt he’ll get so lucky a second time. So for now I’ll assume I remain in his service through you. What is your name, by the by?”

The old man stood up and formally held out his arm. “I am Ditani of Agash, servant to Magus Vestul and currently in service to Journeyman Lebuin while we hunt for Magus Vestul.”

Ticca looked at him as if he had two heads for a moment, making him look nervously back. Magus Vestul, like the one in my dream? Taking his arm, she said, “I am Ticca of Rhini Wood, Dagger in your service.” Letting go, she squatted by him as he kneeled at Lebuin’s head. “So tell me, what is going on?”

Ditani told an amazing tale. Ticca memorized the whole story and probed for more details. In the end she was still not sure if Magus Vestul was the one from her dream. She wasn’t even sure if her dream was real, but it felt real. “Well, I think you have found the right Dagger for your needs. Why don’t you stay here and tend to our employer and let me do what I do best, meaning track down your missing Magus Vestul.”

“That sounds like a good plan to me.”

“I need some coin to grease the wheels.”

Looking a little nervous Ditani shook his head and pulled out a neat little coin purse. “I have not much.”

Ticca eyed the pouch. Lady, I cannot take this poor man’s last coin. Then looking at the belt pouch still on Lebuin, she smiled. “Lebuin has already dropped coin to help, yes?”

Ditani nodded. “Yes he paid Genne three chera to learn who was asking after Magus Vestul.”

Trying not to laugh, Ticca looked at Ditani and then at the sleeping Lebuin. “Three chera! Are you serious! Lady help me, that is ridiculous. I’ll have to have a word with Genne and get some back. That was far too much.” Reaching out, she flipped Lebuin’s pouch open and pulled out the coin purse.

“Ticca! You cannot do that!” Ditani protested.

“I’m not taking it all. Just …” Looking inside she practically choked on the amount of silver it held. Oh my, he must be really rich. I’ll have to think about what to charge him. Of the many coins she spied a number of silver crosses, “… two crosses.” She plucked out the two silver coins and put the purse back in Lebuin’s pouch. Ditani was practically stuttering with outrage.

“Look, you can have an accounting of it. Plus I should have an upfront fee. We’ll get this all sorted out later. First I need to change these to smaller coins. Stay here. I don’t want him traveling outside unprotected. When I get back we’ll go to my room at the Blue Dolphin and talk the rest of this through.” Standing, she moved to grab her pack.

“Wait, did you say your room at the Blue Dolphin? You live there?”

“Yes, I have a room and table. Anything more, or can I get to work?” Ditani looked thoughtful for a minute and then he smiled the first smile she had seen on him. He actually looks a lot better with a smile. Funny how so small a thing can change a character so much. Looking at the sleeping wizard, she thought, Actually when he isn’t burning people to char he’s kinda pretty. I think I’m going to enjoy this commission. Pointing at Lebuin, she sternly added, “I’m serious, don’t let him leave here. I’ll be back in a few marks.” Grabbing her pack she strode out without looking back. This should be easy. A great mage cannot just disappear.

Looking down the street she saw a detachment of guards walking straight for the hospice. And now I earn my coin. Swinging her pack over her shoulder, she took up a position at the top stair, right in their path. Standing authoritatively, she rested her hand lightly on her sword hilt and put on the carefully practiced ‘military commander’ face she had been taught. Speaking first, as the guards climbed the steps, she took the initiative away from the captain. “Captain, glad you made it here. Have you taken care of the trouble in the market?”

The captain scowled at her commanding tone and stopped, looking her over, his eyes landing on her dagger. Looking up directly at her face from his position two steps down, his scowl remained as he took another step up, but did not step up on level. Good boy, stay in the junior position. That will make this easier.

“Ma’am, were you the one who took the wounded mage away?”

Nodding, she took in the other five guards. Bringing a lot of backup with you. Must be a little worried. I would be too if I had to follow someone who made that pile of char in the market. All of the guards looked a little stern and tense. They are expecting a fight. A proper explanation should put us all at ease. “Yes, I witnessed the whole thing. A Knife attempted to kill the Journeyman with a hard attack to his back. When confronted, the Knife actually stood and tried a second time. The Journeyman defended himself and was wounded badly enough to need assistance. He hired me to get him here and to deal with the situation.” A bit of a stretch, but I don’t want anyone to know how bad he really is.

The captain considered the explanation, and then looked at her dagger again. “Can I find you again?”

She gave him a long cold stare as if he were stepping over the line and really should know better. I need the Knives to come after me first; so here is a good opportunity to let them know I’m in the way now. “I’m Ticca. You can find me anytime you like at the Blue Dolphin, just leave a message with Genne.”

He weathered her look well and wasn’t fazed. “Show me your key.”

Smart and brave lad this one. Need to get to know him a bit better. He’ll be promoted soon. She covertly set the clasp to the right point while toying with her sword with the other hand. All of the guards were following the sword’s motion. Opening her pouch, she produced the key. All of the guards’ eyes went a little wider seeing the special key, including the captain. “Anything more, Captain?”

He considered it for a moment. Now he isn’t so sure which way to jump. “May I know the Journeyman’s name?”

Ticca considered the question. A fair question, and whoever hired the Knife already knows who he is. Plus they’ll know he hired me by now, there is really no need to conceal it. “Journeyman Lebuin of the Guild of Argos. He is of this Guildhouse. As long as we are exchanging names, I didn’t catch yours, Captain…?”

He smiled, “Forio. I’ll report this as reasonable defense. Thank you, Ticca. Mayhap I’ll see you again.” The guards visibly relaxed. Forio turned and motioned for them to follow. And that takes care of any further interruptions for the afternoon, I hope. She watched the guards turn back towards the market and walk out of sight before she moved. Slowly, and with authoritative steps, she strode down the stair and turned toward the market. First, need to turn this coin into something spendable. Next, I need to talk to the people this Magus Vestul went to see.

At the edge of the market she saw it had already gotten back to full swing. Looking around she saw a well-dressed sweetmeat vendor in a clean painted cart. Just what I needed. Walking up to him she saw some noble ladies moving away with sweetmeats in hand. He saw her coming and had a fresh strip out on the small counter. “Sweetmeat, M’lady?” he smiled.

Pouting slightly, she eyed the candy. “I’d love one, but I only have a cross left after all my purchases.”

He smiled. “Oh, that is no problem M’lady, the price is only a pence but I have sold enough to make change.”

A full pence, oh my you are used to higher-class customers, aren’t you. Still, not arguing would make this faster. “Oh wonderful.” She batted her eyes at him. Producing the cross for him to see, she added, “Can you give me all pence?”

His eyes looked surprised but his smile never wavered. “More shopping in order, I presume? In fact I can.” He counted out the change with experienced hands, didn’t cheat, handed her the sweetmeat, and gave her a cheerful farewell in the space of a few moments.

Choosing a route that would not take her past where the attack had happened, she moved through the market efficiently. A few simple inquiries provided the leads she needed and in only a couple of marks she had reconstructed the old wizard’s day before he vanished. Standing where she was sure he had been, she scanned the area for what could possibly attract him next. OK, old man, you have spent the day pulling together essentially nothing important. It is still early evening, the sun would be slipping down, putting the street in shadows. You’re probably a little tired from carrying a sack over your shoulder — where do you go next? You have a room at the Dolphin. Dinner is soon and you haven’t eaten since morning… and you have little to worry about, being a powerful wizard.

Turning in the direction of the Blue Dolphin, she walked slowly, trying to imagine herself as the old wizard. In a short distance a possible stop came up. There was a corner arit and tobac shop with some tables in a little fenced off area adjacent to the street. She walked over and sat down, and a very short woman shaped like a hyly barrel came over.

“Ullo, ullo! Bid thee welcome. Arit? Tobac? Offer thee excellent cigar.”

Ticca smiled warmly at the lady. “Arit and a very excellent, but smooth cigar.” Showing a handful of pence, she added, “An excellent cigar.”

The lady smiled deeply and rushed off. Moments later she was back with a tray on which sat three cigars, a thick walled cup that smelled wonderful, a cigar knife and a miniature brazier. Ticca picked up the cigars each in turn, examining them and smelling the fine tobac. Selecting one with a scent that reminded her of her Uncle, she cut the tip and the lady assisted her in lighting the cigar with the brazier. The lady left the cup on the table and took care of another customer, and came around refilling and warming her cup of arit as needed. When her cigar was down to the final third, she came back and stood politely to one side, not blocking the view of the street.

“Lady, offer thee another?”

Smiling, she said, “Please wrap three of them up for me. I really like them.”

The lady left and came back with a small parcel wrapped in thick paper. “Lady, three pence each, if you please.”

Ticca counted out the twelve pence and then added three more. “For your fine service; this was marvelous.”

The lady bowed. “Pray thee return anytime. Offer thee something else?”

“Actually, I am curious, day before last, did an older man in dark violet shirt, brown leggings, and worn shoes stop by here? He may have been wearing a straw hat and carrying a sack.”

The lady smiled wide. “Indeed yes, he was such a gentle soul. Enjoyed sweet, sweet arit and like our pipe tobac much. He bought fine grey pipe and some tobac. You know him? Please bring him ‘round again. He told me funny stories for almost two full marks past closing.”

Got your trail, wizard. She smiled. “I am glad to have found where he got that tobac. I thought maybe so, as you have such a good reputation. Might I have some of that as well? I have a friend that would enjoy it.”

She nodded and went inside for a short span, returning with another paper-wrapped package. “It is our finest. For you, I ask only another pence.”

Ticca paid her and stood up, smelling the packet of tobac. Oh, it does smell wonderful. “Which way did he go from here? I am a little turned around.”

She smiled and pointed across the street and down a bit toward an alley. “Through there. Fair night to thee, lady.”

Ticca put the tobac and cigars in her pack. Swinging it over her shoulder she walked down the street and turned into the narrow alley, looking for signs. At night this would have been totally dark. It is the fastest way back to the Dolphin, though, so he was heading that way. Halfway between streets the alley twisted through a quick elbow bend where the buildings didn’t line up straight. Just around the corner there was a slightly blackened spot on the ground next to the building. Something about it was out of place, so she bent down for a closer look.

Squatting down, she looked it over carefully. The coloration was from blackish soot mixed by the rain with the dust and dirt; it looked like a fire had been lit there some time ago. Small items poked up from under the layer of soot. Using her dagger she poked around in the ashes. The first things she found were some bits of violet cloth, badly charred. Looking around again at the patch she was squatting in, she saw it was large enough to have been a body. Remembering the Knife from earlier, she felt a little queasy. Picking up the cloth, she sniffed it and was revolted by the same stench of charred flesh she had smelled earlier in the market.

Standing, she moved out of the patch respectfully, setting down the burnt violet cloth. Lady of Light, is this all that remains of the wizard? Everyone thinks they’re so invulnerable. Another ripple under the ashes caught her eye, and this time she remained off the patch while poking at the spot with her dagger; it was the clay bowl of a fine-looking pipe. Looking around for some explanation, she saw the faint signs, mostly washed away by the rain.

Her mind pulled all the signs together into a clear picture. Attacked from behind, he’d stumbled, bleeding, against the building. He was slashed again from behind. He tried to brace himself against the building, turning to face his attacker, and then fell forward face down. At the edge of the building just next to where Magus Vestul had braced himself, hidden slightly by some garbage, was an open brown paper packet. Picking it up, she smelled the same pipe tobac she had just bought.

Looking back at the black ashes, she thought, This has to be the Night’s Fire that assassins and spies use to eliminate bodies. I didn’t believe Uncle or my trainer when they told me it would remove the body and evidence so fast it couldn’t be stopped. The only reason this is still here is because it is sheltered from the wind, and it rained, cementing it here instead of washing it completely away. A couple more days and there would have been nothing to find here. Lebuin is in real danger, having been targeted. I need to be careful getting him out of there.

Moving fast, she went to the Dolphin, dropped off her pack and purchases and changed into her night-hunter’s shirt and leggings. Leaving her full cloak, she chose to wear the camouflage cloak only. In the light it looked like a simple full-length dark grey cloak with a soft knit pattern of darker threads, but if she found the right spot she could look like a rock or shadow and be practically invisible. It was also slightly magical, so it kept her dry and warm against the elements. It had been a gift from her trainer when she left for Llino. She kept the new boots on, too; they would make climbing much easier. From her pack she added a blow gun with drugged darts, which she tucked into a special pocket at her back that kept it out of sight and comfortable; unless she had to lay down flat on her back. Putting the knife-belt and the new pouch back on over the shirt, she left with a purpose for Temple Street.

It was still early evening; the sun had only just started to head down over the horizon when she came to Temple Street from the market. Instead of walking on in she milled at the edge of the market with some shoppers and critically evaluated every possible hiding spot and person present. You are here, I know it. There was too much public activity for even a new Knife to miss. She bought something from a vendor and then crossed to another vendor, covertly throwing the purchase between the tents. As she haggled with the other vendor over the price of some silly earrings she spotted what she was looking for. A peasant worker who had earlier left came back around carrying the same heavy bag. Except he wasn’t sweating and spent a lot of time moving down an aisle that gave him full view of the temple hospice’s entry stairs. When he turned off at the last aisle, obviously moving fast to circle back she spotted another. A man sat leaning against a pole and he stood up and took over the watch while the other circled. When the bag carrier came into view, the second man stretched, yawned, and sat back down, going to sleep.

She maneuvered to a position where she could see both and get a clear shot off at the sleeper. When the one with the bag turned out again the sleeper awoke, stood and leaned against the pole. She slowly drew the blowgun behind her back, under the cloak, pretending to look at some jewelry. Loading it, she waited. As the bag carrier stepped out, the sleeper laid down to doze again. She moved casually into position, brought the blow gun out, and shot the sleeper square in the back. He jumped and reached back, pulling out the needle. The bag carrier didn’t see this, hidden as he was from the view by the tent flap until the end of his circuit. The sleeper, seeing what it was, groggily tried to get up, but fell flat — well and truly asleep now. Ticca smiled as she put away the blowgun and casually strolled back toward the market entrance. The moment the bag carrier turned out of sight she sprinted to the hospice. Stepping inside the hospice door she carefully looked back, remaining hidden, and made sure that the bag carrier had not come back in time to see her. Smiling as she saw him continue his observation loop, she turned to where Lebuin was sitting up, talking with Ditani.

Both men stopped talking as she walked up. Lebuin stared at her as she approached. She noticed his eyes roamed her body like greedy hands. Well now, aren’t you just the typical male. You’re going to have to work real hard if you want more than a look. Snorting at his reaction to her tight clothing, she took on a more commanding posture. Hope this works. I need to be seen as an authority up front or else I’ll be his work horse.

Using the ‘commander’ tone and inflections, she informed him, “There are Knives on your tail already. Of course, that wasn’t really all that hard with the commotion you made. Our next trick will be to get you out of here without them seeing it.”

Ditani looked at her hopefully. “Did you find anything of Magus Vestul?”

My Lady, please, not right now. I need them both to be thinking about now, not two days ago. Keeping her voice even, she said, “We can talk about that when we are someplace safe. I took out one of the two observers. The Knife is likely waiting to ambush you on the way back to the Guild; instead I am going to take you by a longer, more circular route to the Dolphin. We can plan your next move there.” Her Uncle’s voice echoed in the back of her head. ‘Establish the relationship and price; and then do the work.’

Remembering his purse, she sent up a small prayer this would work. I need to earn the wages due a Dagger table-owner. “Journeyman Lebuin, your man authorized any price to get you here, and then to help with your search. I don’t expect that offer to extend beyond this moment. I took two crosses, one for my services today, and the second to cover needed bribes. If you desire me to remain your Dagger, I expect six crosses a week, in advance. Agreed?” Lebuin inspected her dagger. She kept her eyes calm. Please say yes, or at least don’t demand something much less. He looked her in the face and nodded. Hiding her pleasure, she thought, Oh Lady, thank you. Now let’s stay alive long enough to spend the coin.

Looking at Lebuin’s condition, she frowned. I doubt he can move fast enough to get safely out. “Do you think you can run right now?”

Leeland Artra's books