Thread Slivers(Golden Threads Trilogy)

Chapter 11

Friends in the woods

THE FOREST WAS ANYTHING BUT quiet. There were noises and animal calls which sent chills down Lebuin’s spine. They had ridden very hard and very fast for three days to get well away from Llino. Ticca had taken them off of the main roads a full day back, and now they were traveling over open country. Lebuin was sweaty and dirty, and muscles he never knew he had announced their presence with every move. This has been a miserable three days. I wish my magic would come back so I could at least get some of this grime off of me. I cannot believe people live like this all the time. How can they ignore it?

Looking across the campfire at Ticca, he noticed she didn’t have the strained look she had worn for the last three days. Her brows were no longer drawn together in hard thought. In fact, she was looking at him as one might inspect a new farm animal, and it was obvious she was trying to decide something.

Looking left, he saw that Ditani was actually smiling as he busied himself cooking some hares Ticca had shot earlier with a sling. How can he be happy? Today he was just riding along breathing deeply with a crooked smile. Now he looks like we are at the finest home enjoying a wonderful evening.

The smells of the cooking meat wafted past him again. It was going to be a pleasant meal since there were herbs and spices in Vestul’s pack, which Ditani had carefully selected. The roasting meat made his mouth water in anticipation. Looking up, he observed that it was a completely clear night and the stars were shining very brightly.

Ticca hadn’t said anything yet and had leaned back against a tree, looking out across the clearing to the open sky. She looks in a talking mood, and I really would like to start learning some things. “Are we far enough that we can talk now?”

She looked at him and then back to the sky. “Perhaps. It has been three days since our escape from the city, and I haven’t seen any sign of being pursued. The forest is alive, so nothing unusual is moving about. So yes, I’d say we can talk safely now.”

Now I can ask the question that has been burning in my mind for days. “Why aren’t all Daggers as skilled as you are?”

She laughed. “Heavens, that is an odd question to ask after everything we have done.”

“I’m serious. I know I have little experience, but I am not stupid. You fought and killed a Knife at the hospice; you faced that demon in green and fought him to a standstill. He held off five other Daggers easily enough and broke away to chase you. In fact he looked like the Daggers were just insects that were annoying him slightly. If it hadn’t been for whatever Duke did to close the city he would have attacked you again. So, why are you so good, or why are the other Daggers not as good as you?”

Ticca looked up at the stars and in a wistful voice answered, “I have had unique training.”

“Obviously, but is it a secret? Can you share it?”

Ticca looked at him for a minute, her eyes going a little wide then slightly unfocused. “No one has asked me before.” Ticca’s gaze shifted to the fire. “I am only sworn to keep the source of my knowledge a secret. But no promise to keep the training a secret was demanded.” She continued to look into the fire as if it were a window. “It isn’t something he’d have missed, either.”

Ditani took one of the rabbits and handed it to him, and handed another to Ticca. Taking a rabbit for himself, Ditani sat down and began to eat. Ticca sat up a little straighter and began to pick at the rabbit. They all sat and stared at the fire, quietly eating and thinking their own thoughts.

Ticca’s voice caught both Ditani and Lebuin by surprise. “I see no reason I cannot pass on these skills. Of course, I am not really interested in being a trainer myself, at least not yet.”

“Would you teach me?”

Ticca looked at him. “Lebuin, you’re a mage — of what use is the sword and knife to you? You can shield yourself better than any fighter and kill with a look. Why learn the knife and the sword?”

“That is what I thought too. I think that is what Magus Cune was trying to teach me. I was just too naive to see it. Magus Cune nearly killed me with a sword in a magical fight. Magus Vestul was killed by a blade penetrating his defenses. I think mages might be, in general, too proud and overconfident. I recognize this in myself and I am disgusted by it. So I ask, would you teach me?”

“After five years training with my uncle, he had taught me everything he could and called on another trainer to complete my education. No offense, but I wasn’t planning on spending that much time with you.”

“I don’t expect to learn all you know. It will be cycles before my magic returns. Should we start now, I might be of more use than just a target to protect.” He looked directly into her eyes and gave her what he hoped she would see as a determined promise to study well. “I promise you, I am a fast study.”

Ticca thought about this some more. “You make a good point, M’lord. It would be helpful for me to stay sharp and remind myself of the basics.” Smiling, she looked at Ditani. “What about you, old man, will you join us in training? I know you can move fast enough, you dodged that Knife’s sword well enough.”

Ditani looked at them in surprise. “Me? I am an old servant who is looking forward to retiring. It was luck that let me survive. I almost fell off the horse doing it.”

Ticca’s eyes sparkled in the firelight. “Well, with some training maybe you won’t need so much luck next time. My trainer always said, ‘Be thankful when luck happens, but don’t count on it.’ Besides, I am told that the knife and sword drills keep men limber and active almost their whole life. Your wife might enjoy that.” She stared at him, grinning wickedly, daring him to answer.

It was hard to tell but Ditani might have looked a shade darker in the dusky light. “Ticca, really, you go too far! But I agree, luck is a silly thing to count on. I do fancy keeping my joints limber, so I accept your invitation.”

Ticca giggled like she had won a prize. “Algan is two or three weeks away by the trade road. It will take us at least a cycle to get there, traveling through the wilderness and avoiding contact. We can train for a mark every morning and evening. It won’t slow us down too much. I think we should concentrate on the defensive skills.” Tossing the remains of her rabbit into the fire, Ticca took off her boots and lay back on her bed roll. “Let me think this through and we’ll start in the morning.”

I can’t wait! I don’t know why but I have the oddest desire to master the knife now. Looking at Ticca, he admired her stamina, courage, and obvious intelligence. This is a woman who will make a blazing trail wherever she chooses to go. I have been very foolish being more concerned with the outside of people than what was inside. With her help I may very well survive Cune’s challenges. I intend to be a very different man when I next meet him.

The evening was getting colder, and looking at Ticca, he saw she was still awake and looking up at the stars. “Aren’t your feet going to get cold?”

“Better cold feet than odd dreams,” she answered mysteriously.

“What do you mean by that?”

Ticca sat up and looked at him across the fire as if trying to decide something. He waited to see what she chose to do, and she looked at the boots and sighed. “I think they are causing me to see things when I sleep.”

Lebuin looked at the boots too. “They are just an artifact, although one with a very useful mix of features. I don’t see how including dreams would ever cross anyone’s mind. Are you sure about this?”

Ticca shook her head. “No, but ever since I got them I have been having visions or dreams. They are as real as this is. I remember them clearly and in every detail. It is as if I am actually living the dreams, and when I wake up I am always confused about where and who I am.”

“Do you want to tell us about them?”

Ticca frowned and thought about it. “Well, they are actually kind of girlish.”

“Meaning that you are a girl in them?”

“Meaning I am another girl who is in love, and the dreams center around the romance. In the dreams I …or she… or, well… in the dreams there are feelings and thoughts with immense love as I have only ever heard of. These dreams make me feel odd, and I am starting to believe such love may really exist.”

“Are they the same dreams?”

“No, they are moving forward in time. Things evolve, as they do everywhere. I think the person I am reliving is the maker of the boots.”

“Perhaps I can help you understand. Tell me from the beginning. You can of course leave out any, um… intimate details.”

Ticca blushed. “Well there hasn’t been any of that, at least none I was present for. I think the first dream might have been followed by a very excellent moment. At least, it was heading there when I woke up. This is about a woman who lives in a large forest city. Her name is Kliasa, and she trapped animals to make boots and travel journals.”

Ditani sat up hastily. “Did you say Kliasa? Kliasa of Rea-Na-Rey?”

Surprised, he looked at Ditani. Rea-Na-Rey, as in the Elven city of the forest? Why would you know someone from there?

Ticca shrugged. “I haven’t heard the name of the city said. I would remember if it was Rea-Na-Rey, still it might be the same.”

“Ditani, do you know a Kliasa?”

Ditani looked at the ground for a moment and his shoulders sagged as if under a heavy weight. “Yes, she was a shining star like none before or after. We all loved her greatly. Magus Vestul loved her as a daughter; I loved her as a sister...” Ditani reached over and picked up the boots tenderly, as a man picks up his baby daughter. “She made these boots for Magus Vestul as a present. He mentioned how uncomfortable his boots were and she set about making him the finest boots ever, so that he would always be able to dance.” Tears ran down Ditani’s cheek as he softly caressed the boots. He then put them back by Ticca. “Believe me, you two have a lot in common, she would want you to have these. I don’t understand the dreams; Magus Vestul never mentioned he shared her memories.”

Everyone was silent for a while. Finally, Ticca looked at Ditani. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

“How could you? You are young and the world hasn’t been so unkind to you yet.”

“I take it she is dead?”

“Yes, she died in an attack on her home. It was vicious, brutal, and long since avenged by even more brutal and horrible acts.”

Ticca put her hand on Ditani’s shoulder. “I am sorry. She was so happy and alive. Was it her lover who exacted revenge?”

Ditani nodded. “Oh yes, he did. He did things I shudder to consider. It is said he still bleeds from his heart because the wound never healed. This is why he shows no mercy, or regret, and is willing to do horrible things; things which anyone else with a dark heart would refuse as too dreadful.” The fire seemed to dim and a cold wind blew over them as if nature itself stood in testimony to Ditani’s words.

A shudder ran down his spine at that pronouncement, as if evil had touched their campsite. Lebuin thought about it. “Ticca, unless the artifact was specifically designed to share memories, I don’t think the boots are the cause.”

Ticca shrugged. “Well if I sleep with them on, I have dreams of her and things I have never experienced. I have spent days hunting in her forest and making a wonderful journal which was later given to Magus Vestul at a festival in his honor. It was Magus Vestul who finally called her by name, and I do recall him complaining about his boots. She resolved to make him boots; these boots. She is constantly worrying about this man she loves, trying to decide how to help him with his plans, which he hasn’t yet shared.”

Ticca retold the stories from her dreams. Lebuin paid especially close attention to the description of her feelings while making the journal. When she was done he asked her questions which she couldn’t answer on the techniques used. “I’d love to experience that making myself. I might be able to learn those skills. This would be wonderful.”

Ticca handed him the boots. “Give them a try, if you dare.”

Taking the boots, Lebuin didn’t really have to think about it much. He pulled off his own boots and slid into Ticca’s. “You can wear my boots if you want. They are going to be too big, but they would keep your feet warmer.”

Ticca looked a little put off, but took his offered boots and slipped them on. With that they all drifted off to sleep.

- - -

Sun was streaming in the window and he sat there enjoying the feeling on his face. Sitting up, he noticed something was different, something was not right. This was someplace he did not know. Looking around, he realized he was alone, but there was laughter, like dozens of perfect small silver bells, ringing outside. Standing, he moved to the window and looked out on an amazing scene. Dozens of children were running around, screaming and laughing. Some of the children were astride small deer; others were just running around. They all moved with a speed and agility he found hard to believe. What was even odder was that they were playing a game of chase and tag with a creature the size of a horse that looked like a wolf. The wolf laughed and yelled, jumping around with great agility, running and using trees to bounce off of, trying to avoid the children. The wolf was speaking the language of the children, and even though Lebuin didn’t understand the exact words, it was obvious that the creature was playfully taunting them.

A presence was beside him; he looked and caught his breath. Next to him, smiling and looking out the window, was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. She was dressed in a soft, fuzzy forest-green dress with long sleeves, which covered her from neck to toe. The dress hugged her form tightly from the neck to just below her hips, where it flared out into a wonderful skirt. The dress, while covering almost every inch of her body, still showed every curve of her perfect frame. It ended just above the ground, and peeking out were a pair of matching boots made of glossy leather, dyed a soft mossy green. Around her waist was a black leather belt, on which hung a small pouch and a much-used but well cared-for hunting knife.

“The children so love Duke, and he adores them.”

Looking out the window again, he replied, “So that is Duke; I never would have guessed he played with children.”

“Duke has many sides, as do we all, Lebuin.”

“You know me? How? Who are you? Where am I?”

“You know the answers to all that already.”

Nodding, he looked back at the woman. “You are Kliasa, this is a dream, and I suppose this is your home in Rea-Na-Rey?”

“Correct.”

“I thought these dreams were supposed to be from your point of view.”

“I will not let a man know my intimate thoughts. You come here out of curiosity, and a desire to know the making of my works. Ticca comes here for other reasons.”

“So this isn’t something you laid into the boots? Your mind is directing this? How can that be, you are dead.”

“No, I am between.”

Lebuin froze at that. “’Between’. Another entity told me I was ’between’.”

“Correct.”

“I sensed you there between; you were watching over us from the ethereal realm.”

“That is a reasonable explanation. Yes, I was there. I lent what aid I could to help your survival.”

“Why? What do you care?”

She looked at Lebuin with a mix of pain, longing, and secrecy. “I cannot answer that. There are limits to what I can tell you.”

“How can this be?”

“You know the answer to that, too.”

“The boots… you made them, they are connected to you, so you can use them as a conduit.”

“Correct.”

“So why haven’t we heard from dead mages before through their artifacts?”

“They did not remain between.”

“That isn’t an answer. Surely some of them were not yet ready to move on.”

“It is as much as I can say.”

“So this is between two states of being?”

“You desire to know my secrets?”

“Don’t avoid the question.”

“I am not; I have answered as much as I can. Do you desire to know my secrets?”

This was unlike anything Ticca had said, but it was real. He could smell the flowers, he could feel the sun, and the wind tickled his skin. “I do.”

“What price would you pay for them?”

“I can insure you shall be remembered.”

“I do not need this. I am loved, and once I pass from here I will have no use for anything else.”

Lebuin looked around. “We are between. Money has no meaning; you do not desire to be named. What can I offer?”

“I cannot affect things in your realm.”

Lebuin understood then that she was holding herself here but unable to cause change, or manifest in the physical world. “What would you ask me to do?”

She smiled, and it was like lightning. “You see, good. Three things I will ask of you: Get Ticca to wear my boots, always, until this is done. Protect Ditani as much as he protects you. Finally, do not hesitate to risk all, for all is at risk.”

Lebuin considered. “I can agree to the first two, but I do not understand your third request.”

“You will, you have only to promise me these three things and I shall teach you all my secrets. We have passed the point of the necessity of your ignorance.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“You will come to know that too, in time. I am aware of more than I should be, because of this place and of how I can interact through my creations. I cannot say more for fear of ruining hope.”

“This is Rea-Na-Rey; you are a silver elf. Your secrets will be of little use to me.”

Kliasa laughed, and it was as beautiful music with ringing tones, high and wonderful. “You know the name! Yes, this is Rea-Na-Rey, and I was what you humans call an ‘elf lord’. I have hidden this from Ticca so she wouldn’t be frightened.” As Lebuin watched, Kliasa’s form thinned slightly, becoming more elegant as her skin shifted to light silver. “I promise you will be able to learn and use the skills and secrets I share.”

Looking out the window, he now saw the children were a mix of human and elf.

“Very well, I will do as you ask, provided what you say is true.”

She smiled at him, and he was joyful. “Lebuin, we are between, it is impossible to lie here. Come, sit there, and we shall begin.”

“How long will this take?”

“Time may pass differently here. I can give you as long as you need; I expect you will need at least a full year, perhaps more. Though it will seem like you have spent a year in study with me, only a single night will pass in your realm.”

Lebuin thought about it and then smiled. “This will be the best dream I have ever had.”

Kliasa motioned to him. “I picked this time because it was a wonderful one. We have three celebrations each year, and tonight’s is the first. You will get to meet and know Duke and Magus Vestul as I know them. My love has already left, so there is no fear of any of my feelings for him intruding on this time. I have finished his boots and he took them with him, although he still doesn’t wear them. There were a quiet few years after his departure that were full of happiness, which I can share with you.”

Cycles passed and Kliasa was true to her word. Lebuin did meet the large wolf and laughed at the stories he told. Duke loved the children and was always playing with them or telling stories. Duke also had a deep love of Kliasa and came around often, just to chat with her; during these times Lebuin would sit and listen, or wander around the city as directed by Kliasa. Finally Duke left to build a better tavern, he said, and he had an emotional farewell with Kliasa. The summer festival had the honored guest of Magus Vestul; Kliasa introduced them and he found he liked him deeply. Lebuin learned that Magus Vestul had had many interactions with the elves, and they loved him completely for his sacrifices for them. All three festivals had ritual requirements on which Kliasa drilled him until he knew them perfectly.

They spent every day together; Kliasa taught him the art of making her boots and journals. She also taught him how to trap and prepare the animals. He roamed the vast forest with her. He learned her trap routes as well as she knew them herself. She taught him to use the sword, knife, bow, and sling as well as any elf. They spent marks every day sparring with weapons. She also taught him to read and write in the ancient language of the elves…

She truly passed on to him all her secrets. The training was much faster than he expected. Kliasa explained that this was because they were between and the connection of thoughts was superior, and so he understood what she was teaching better and faster than if they had done this in the physical realm. Kliasa also warned that although his mind knew all the skills, his body was without proper training, and he would injure himself should he push too far, too fast. She taught him the strengthening techniques used for recovery from injuries that caused long disuse and atrophy of the muscles.

A year passed and Lebuin knew the elven woods as well as he knew the library at the Guild. He understood the flows of energies that were part of the elves, and how they worked without the necessity of channeling because they were part magic themselves. He had mastered making boots that could change size, color, and texture to need. He knew how to make the journals’ papers and inks that would create permanent records which would be nearly impossible to damage or alter. He knew how to fight and hunt as an elf. He knew all the elven traditions and rituals. And he loved Kliasa as deeply as Duke, Vestul, and apparently all who knew her.

He had almost forgotten about how it all started. One morning Kliasa came to him. “You have mastered all I have to teach you. It is time for you to fulfill your part of our bargain now.”

“Kliasa, you are truly the marvel Ditani speaks of, I thank you for all your efforts. I will do all I can to fulfill my part.”

She smiled. “Lebuin, know you are as much loved and cherished as I ever was. I am glad for this time we have had, I wish we could have more. You have things to attend to, however. I am better for having known you.” She gave him a strong hug and then turned him around and pushed him gently out the door into the forest. “Be well Lebuin, and remember your promise.”

- - -

Rolling over, the smell of hot arit came to his nose. He opened his eyes. I am camped in the woods with Ticca and Ditani. Today we start weapons training with Ticca. This is going to be fun surprising her. Smiling, he sat up, feeling immensely refreshed. None of his muscles complained and he felt strong and able. Oh these really are marvelous boots, Kliasa. I think I will be making myself a pair as soon as I can... and I do remember my promise.

Ditani was making some breakfast from the provisions and handed him a cup of arit. “Thanks, Ditani.” He looked at the older man and felt a warm friendship for him. “Ditani, I … I mean … Well I’m glad to have you with me.” Ditani looked him in the eye and nodded in response as a wide smile grew on his face.

Ticca was already up and doing her morning stretches barefoot. Lebuin swallowed some arit and joined her, also taking the boots off and doing them barefoot. Ditani set aside the breakfast to stay warm and joined them too.

Lebuin followed along as she did each motion slowly, as she had done in the days before. He found that some were already familiar from what he had studied with Kliasa. In fact, most of the warm-up was exactly as he had learned. The only problem was that his physical body hadn’t had the benefit of the year of training his mind had. It wasn’t long before he was sweating and his muscles were fatigued. Ditani had also followed and had the same difficulties in the same areas he did; however, Ditani was obviously in better shape, so when they sat to breakfast, Lebuin was the only one sweating profusely.

Ticca smiled, putting her boots back on. Looking at him as she ate, she commented, “You both did pretty good.”

“Yes, well, there is a reason for it.”

She raised her eyebrows. “Oh? And what would that be?”

“I have studied these moves, I just haven’t done them. You are doing some differently than I remember, though. There are also a few moves I didn’t know before.”

“Nose stuck in books too much. Well, we’ll get you over that. What about you, Ditani, how do you know the same patterns as Lebuin here? You both stumbled in the same places, so I assume you both have studied the same patterns.”

Ditani laughed. “My people are taught this from youth, we call it ’the Path’. Many of my people do it every day together in open fields or parks. I haven’t done it myself in a few years, but I remember many of the concepts it contains. Only warriors are taught the full martial aspects of it. Most only do it for the exercise and stretching.”

“Well then, you two are going to be at least proficient by the time we get to Algan. If you both already know this, it is only a matter of removing the imperfections and adding the missing components. I still need to get you both to stop being so dramatic.”

“What do you mean? I thought we needed to learn the moves?”

“That is what many think, but really it is about eliminating wasted motion; for example, in a fight, most people swing widely and block with more motion than needed. Really a very little diversion is needed to cause someone to miss. The less energy you need to redirect an attack, the more energy you have to sustain yourself. Most people who do these patterns tend to add drama to it, exaggerating some of the moves. You both were doing that. What is needed is the absolute minimum.”

Lebuin nodded. “Ah, I see, conserve strength and let the opponent waste their own, thus tiring faster.”

Ticca nodded. “Right. Now, if we are finished with breakfast, grab your knives and we will do some practice drills based on the patterns. These will likely be some of those martial aspects you spoke of, Ditani. So, congratulations, you are both entering the warrior caste.”

“Shouldn’t we use wooden sticks or something?”

Ticca smiled an evil little smile. “No, this will encourage you to concentrate on getting it right.”

Lebuin swallowed hard. No kidding. Once she started the training he almost laughed. She had them standing facing each other, doing something like the Path, but also very slowly. It was like a dance, where he did one side and Ditani did the opposite.

“You will learn all twelve patterns from both sides by the time we are done. Since you know the patterns already these will come very fast. However, you must both concentrate on always, and I mean always, doing them exactly correctly. If you make a mistake, recognize it, stop, and do it correctly.”

After Ticca was satisfied they had learned the first pattern, she made them switch sides and practice, paying close attention and correcting any mistakes through example. After he and Ditani had learned the first pattern dance from one side she traded places with him against Ditani and did the drill again and again, each time moving slightly faster. When Ditani made a mistake, she stopped as if frozen until he fixed it, and then they continued. Watching Ticca and Ditani, Lebuin was struck by how much it looked like the fight she had with the man in green, only much slower. Once she had set a certain pace that still couldn’t be called fast, she stopped.

“This is the speed you will use to practice all the patterns. You will see that they can be strung together in a loop where you do one side, then the other, and then the next. A complete workout would thus be doing the Path once correctly, at a speed that would complete it start to finish, in half of a mark; followed by the patterns for a complete loop in another half mark or perhaps a full mark. Meaning you can do the entire practice by yourself in one mark. If you do both the weapon and the barehanded patterns you will need one and a half marks to complete the entire set. You do not need a partner for the pattern dances, but it is best if you can have one. Once you have learned these you should do them every day for the rest of your life. So from now on I expect you to do this in the morning every day as we travel, and I will teach you more each evening.”

Lebuin repeated some of the pattern dance then looked at Ticca. “This is the fight you had with the man at the gate.”

“You have an excellent memory, M’lord. This is one of the twelve practice patterns based on the Path that use weapons. There are also twelve hand-to-hand practice patterns that are also based on the Path. The fight we had used components of all of them as the situation permitted.”

“So the Path is a foundation of fighting techniques, with and without weapons?”

“Correct. The Path is a fighting technique and a mental training exercise. If done correctly, it calms the mind, and eventually, your body will respond within the Path.”

“What do you mean?”

She pointed to a spot in front of her. “Stand there.” He did. “Now, try to attack me.” He just looked at her stupidly. She smiled that evil smile. “Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you.”

“I’m more afraid of hurting you.”

“Yes, I know, I need to beat that out of you. When you are fighting it will usually be for your life. Therefore, you cannot hesitate as you did when thinking of trying to help me from the safety of your high window. Come, try to shove me, push me, kick me, or come at me with a knife, Lebuin.”

The jab was dead-on and she knew it, too. He felt embarrassed at being reminded of his inactions. So he thrust his knife at her midsection, but not so hard that he couldn’t stop it, and then she wasn’t there. Her midsection had turned and shifted slightly out of the way, so his knife was passing a hair’s breadth from her shirt. Her arm came up just as in a move from the Path, and he saw it was binding his own arm so that as her other hand came around, it would have broken his arm backwards at the elbow… except his knees had lowered, and he was moving his arm to turn it into an elbow jab to her belly, being supported by his other hand. Ticca twisted away from that using a different move from the Path, pushed his jab down and pulled him forward and off balance while bringing her knee dangerously up towards his groin, his own knife pointing at his chest while still in his hand. She stopped, but not before Lebuin had already shifted a little, so her knee would have hit his inner thigh instead. She held him there, slightly off-balance, his knife pointing at his chest, and because of her hold, his arm and the knife were entirely under her control.

“Do you see now?”

Shocked, he looked at the result of the maneuvers he had been learning but had not understood. “Yes, I clearly see the result. Are all of the patterns as dangerous as this?”

Ticca nodded. “The Path was long ago perfected, and there are variations but the core, which I am teaching you, is the same in every one. Every move is a dodge, a strike or a parry. The Path is the essence of all fighting styles, distilled to its purest form. It is also a form of meditation. I’d bet you will replace any meditation you do as a wizard with a much slower version of the Path. You might try doing it very slowly. I have been told many wizards that learn the Path do this.”

“Are there no other patterns?”

“Of course, but this is the base, all others have extra moves which are wasteful or for show.”

“So learn this, learn them all?”

“Pretty much. If you master this one, the others are but extensions, in slightly different order using different names for the moves. That is enough for now; we have ground to cover.”

“Before we go, Ticca, I have an obligation to settle.”

She looked at him oddly. “What can you do out here?”

“It isn’t so much what I can do, as what I need you to do.”

She waited, looking oddly at him.

“Ticca,” he swallowed. “The boots are not the source of your odd dreams, but they are the conduit.”

“This sounds interesting, let’s get some arit and talk.”

They walked back to the camp and Ditani made fresh arit. Lebuin swallowed and started, “I didn’t learn the Path from a book. Kliasa taught it to me, along with many other things, in exchange for some promised favors.”

Ticca sat perfectly still, listening.

“You see, last night I spent over a year in the great forest learning everything Kliasa knew, learning the ways of the elves, learning their city and people. I met Duke and Vestul on their visits to the elven city. I know how to make boots such as you are wearing now. I know how to make that journal you spoke of. It is all true. Everything you witnessed is truth.”

Ditani made a sound, causing both of them to look at him. His head was down and he was staring at the ground. There were tears on his cheek. They both looked away, giving him his privacy for his grief. He knew and loved her, and to hear I spent a year with her must be a real blow.

Ticca looked back at him. “How can this be?”

“Ticca, there is a place where we all go after dying; between this realm and that is another one. I think it is the ethereal realm; Kliasa called it ‘between’. She is purposefully holding herself there with all her power. She can connect with people through her artifacts. Ticca, she wouldn’t tell me why, or what she wants to teach you; but she did say she has much to share with you only. She begged of me to convince you to put her boots on and to never take them off till the conclusion. It wasn’t until we were finished with training today that I was able to see all I learned in the last year, overnight, was accurate.”

Ticca shook her head, stood up and started pacing back and forth. “That is the second time a powerful entity has told me to do something while referencing an ‘end’.”

Confused, Lebuin looked at her. “What do you mean?”

“The High Priestess of Dalpha told me, in the Temple, to come back and tell her how this ends, if I can.”

Lebuin frowned and stood, starting to pace himself. “You know, when I was dead I had a strange experience that I wasn’t sure was real… but, now I am sure of it. There are powerful beings who are working towards an end. They all fear some major catastrophe and there is something about it that keeps them from getting involved directly. They are being forced, either on purpose or by circumstances, to stand back.”

Ticca nodded as they paced together while Ditani sat and watched. “Lebuin, I think we are on the verge of something very important. I just don’t know why. We are blind, but many people are trying to give us hints... Why us?”

Lebuin shrugged. “I don’t know, but I trust Kliasa totally. It is impossible to lie in the ethereal realm. She wants to share something with you. She wants you to have the boots, and all she asks is that you never take them off until after the end.”

Ticca stopped and looked at him. “Well, as odd as this sounds; I think I will agree. My trainer always said, ‘Knowledge is the most powerful weapon you can hold.’ If Kliasa really is holding on, just to tell me critical things, it would be silly to ignore her. Besides, I like how I feel in the morning after sleeping with these things on.”

After that the days fell into a pattern: martial practices in the morning and evenings, with long days of riding in between. As they rode, Ticca would teach them of Dagger tactics, signs, and the Dagger code. She also recited many of the Dagger histories, which she demanded they recite back to her repeatedly until they had them word-perfect. Lebuin was surprised to learn that Duke had started the Daggers and based them on an organization of military specialists. They were respected throughout the world before they had been forgotten during the Imperial times. There was a lot of emphasis on not losing sight of any one of the three guiding aspects of honor, courage, and commitment. Oddly, the commitment wasn’t to the Daggers but to doing the right thing, having the courage to stand up for the right, regardless of the consequences, and the honor to always step up. There were a considerable amount of signs, tactics, and other skills that could only come over years of dedicated training. With every word, Lebuin felt as if he was growing and becoming what he should have been from the start.

Lebuin only required some simple practice to teach his physical body the skills his mind already knew, and sling, bow, sword, and knife came fast. Ditani mastered the sling and already knew knife and bow. They hunted as they rode so that they always had excellent meat to eat in the evening. He also found he liked the Dagger code of honor, courage, and commitment. The whole idea of upholding a high moral code resonated with his soul. He would recite the things Ticca told him over and over again in his head, making sure he would never forget.

After they had learned the Dagger skills, Ticca added survival techniques. When they came across wild vegetables Ticca would point them out and they would collect some for the next few days. It was discovered that food put in the pack did not spoil, at which point Ticca and Ditani taught Lebuin how to hunt deer and they spent some time preparing smoked jerky from the venison. Apparently there were deep family secrets to the jerky preparation methods; Ticca and Ditani spent a lot of time arguing over which was better. Ditani was willing to share his with Lebuin, but Ticca kept hers a secret. In the end they grudgingly admitted that each was an ‘adequate’ preparation. Lebuin laughed at them, as both tasted delicious.

Some mornings Ticca would be a little confused on first rising, but they all knew the cause. Ticca said nothing more about what Kliasa shared with her; during the second week, though, Ticca said something to Lebuin in the Elven language and Lebuin responded immediately. They were both surprised that Ditani also spoke the language, although he had to concentrate. For the remaining time they spoke nothing but Elvish. Ditani quickly remembered the language and was soon speaking as fluently as Ticca and Lebuin.

After a few weeks Ticca declared them ready for more advanced training and started teaching them how to fight together against a single opponent or how to fight against multiple opponents. So their morning sparring was spent fighting in pairs against each other, rotating until they had all had a turn fighting two-on-one or one-on-two.

During the second week Lebuin’s powers started to return. He slowly and carefully exercised them while they rode and each day they grew stronger. With the physical, magical, and mental exercises, he felt better and more alive than ever before. Lebuin found himself dreading having to return to the city life. Of course he did miss baths and clean clothes, but not as much as he’d thought he would. He also found he enjoyed the diet they ate; simple roasted vegetables with seasoned fresh meats from their hunting. They ate better than any noble every day as far as he was concerned. Also Vestul had obviously been collecting herbs his whole life, there was a huge collection. Ditani knew most of them, and experimented with others.

They were on the road almost six weeks before they came to the first outer farmsteads of Algan, and Lebuin had bulked out considerably. Lebuin had decided to shave his beard so he and Ditani looked a pair, both with similar dress, clean shaven, and with similar haircuts. Lebuin had also gained a dark tan that was not too far from Ditani’s natural look.

Looking down the hill, they could see the main road was a short way off. Out of habit, he asked in Elvish, “Should we take the road? I doubt anyone here is expecting us.” Looking at Ticca and Ditani, he added, “Or would recognize us, for that matter. I would swear Ditani is years younger and I know I have put on weight I never thought I’d gain.”

Ticca looked them over, answering in Elvish as well. “You certainly have changed a lot. I would say that what you were was merely a shadow of what you have become, Lebuin.”

He smiled back at her, in the easy way they had come to know each other. “Thanks. And you certainly look better for those city pounds you have lost, too.”

“If you two children are finished complimenting each other, what say we get on with what we came here to do.”

“Yes, father,” they said together and then laughed. Ditani looked at them and laughed too.

Ticca looked on the farmland and the road. “Ditani, you said Magus Vestul’s house was in the city. We might as well just ride down there and take the road in.”

Lebuin thought about it and frowned slightly; Ticca noticed and asked him with a look what he was worried about. “Well, you certainly know more about tactics than I ever will, but that would be an obvious approach. So wouldn’t it be less conspicuous to ride in from, say, the opposite side?”

Ditani nodded in agreement and Ticca smiled. “You are doing well, except for one problem; three Daggers or a Dagger and two disguised patrons, fled Llino. It might be reasonable to assume we three came from someplace else, and by coming in from the opposite side and we’d give that impression even more. However, we are going to go straight to Magus Vestul’s house to essentially claim it. There won’t be much hiding once we have done that. So why hide now? If they are here, they’ll know we are here, regardless of which way we come in.”

“You have a point. If we are to settle Ditani’s claim we’ll have to identify him and ourselves as proper witnesses.”

Ditani thought about it. “We don’t necessarily have to announce our presence. Vestul was often gone for cycles or years at a time.”

Ticca thought about it. “Well, how long do we need to stay in the house? I thought our basic plan was to spend some time here cataloging and getting things in order. After all, they were only hunting Lebuin in Llino, and aside from you, there is no real indication he was coming here.”

“Yes, except we have since learned that something larger than just Lebuin’s quest for knowledge is going on. We haven’t really talked about it much, but those were not ordinary Knives that attacked as we left.”

“Ticca, Ditani has a point. We haven’t explored those Knives that took all your exceptional skill to hold off. Is that ordinary for Knives?”

Ticca shook her head. “No, I don’t think so. I really don’t know who they were, but if I had to guess I would say they were Nhia-Samri. I haven’t said that because it makes no sense at all. How could Magus Cune hire the Nhia-Samri to hunt you? Also, if they were Nhia-Samri, why haven’t they been on our tail the whole way? They are skilled and would have had no trouble picking up our trail.”

“I suggest we move back a bit and talk this over. There are some questions we need to work our way through.”

They moved back into the woods and found a good camping location. After camp had been set up they sat down around the fire.

Ticca started. “This all started with Magus Cune placing a bet in your favor with a villain. That villain then sent a Knife to kill you to win his bet. We saved your life; I am involved by mere chance. But the resources employed are excessive for any bet, no matter how large. Seriously, hiring Nhia-Samri to observe the Dolphin to track and kill you? That would be a king’s ransom in gold.”

He and Ditani thought that over. Ticca continued, “Ditani is involved because he came with Magus Vestul to meet with Duke. Now, those two are serious power players and whatever game they are involved in could explain the Nhia-Samri. So what if the first attack was the bet, but the second and third attacks were directed at Ditani, because of his involvement with Magus Vestul and Duke?”

“But why not track us down these past few weeks?”

“That is odd; unless in pulling the disguise they mistook us for Daggers being sent by Ditani out of town. Later they may have discovered that it was Ditani fleeing, but then they got into it with Duke, which delayed them long enough that they actually lost our trail.”

“If that is the case, they would be waiting here for us to get whatever they think I have.”

“Ditani, you have everything Magus Vestul had, I have his pouch and boots, and Lebuin is carrying his pack. Nothing was left. So if they are after what Vestul was taking to Duke, it must be those papers, which we cannot figure out without consulting Vestul’s library.”

Ditani nodded. They all thought about it for a bit. “Honestly, Ticca, this is just a random game. Either they are at war with Duke and not here, or they are waiting for us. If they are here it will be to capture us, and something they believe we carry, regardless of if we have it.”

“We need to find a way to determine if they are here, without getting caught. I doubt we’ll get so lucky as having an ancient gate seal them off from us again.”

“Lebuin, I have an idea. If they are here they will want to capture all three of us. They’ll be covert. I know I can spot them. What if I ride into town by myself? I will speak to the mayor as a representative of Ditani and gain access to the house. I can then go there, get something silly and ride back out of town. We’ll meet deep in the forest. If they are there they’ll have to assume I got what we needed and so follow me. I’ll make myself damned hard to follow, giving me time to spot them. If I do see them, I’ll take them someplace and lose them before finding you two.”

Ditani nodded. “So long as you don’t try to get into the tower it will be perfectly safe. There is an office off the main entry that has a safe. I can give you the keys as proof and instructions for specific papers there. It is my safe and office, so I know what is there. To the mayor it will be proof as much as to anyone else.”

Nodding, Lebuin said, “I can connect us by an incantation so I can see what is going on around you, know which direction you are in relation to me, and also give you a pull to guide you to us. We only need work out some signals so that I know when to give you a slight nudge. This way you don’t have to know where we will be at all, and we can come to your aid if needed regardless of where you are.”

Ticca looked at him. “Have your powers returned at that level?”

He nodded. “Yes, this would be no problem for me. I still have a number of weeks before I dare touch water, but I have enough control of air for something like this.”

Ticca smiled that evil grin of hers. “I like this plan. Let’s do it. We’ll need a couple of letters from you, Ditani.”

Lebuin pulled out his pack and retrieved the travel writing desk with its papers and ink. Handing the portable desk to Ditani, he started to concentrate on the necessary incantations he would need to connect and watch Ticca.

A few marks later, Ticca was riding off towards the road as he and Ditani packed up camp and set out deeper into the forest. Lebuin double-checked to make sure he could see Ticca and everything around her. She stopped at the edge of the road and made the hand signal; he gave her a gentle tug back towards them. She smiled and kicked her horse onto the road heading for town.

Leeland Artra's books